Hello from Columbus!!!!
Ok.... let me take you through the last week or so.....
Pre-August 20: packing - not too bad. We spent about an hour or two a day and got all set for the U-haul. No stress, lots of excitement.
August 20th: U-haul time. Wow. We got to pick up the U-haul from Ann Arbor, and the trailer to tow my car from Farmington Hills. And yeah, it was REALLY raining. We also stopped by IKEA and bought a sofa. We packed all our stuff up except for a few things.... AND... we found that my basement was flooding! Yeah.... that was crazy! I think it had started a couple days before, because there was already some mold growing on my guitar amp and the bottom of my entertainment center. Yikes!!!
August 21st: On the road to Columbus.... only with my car being towed, I had to keep the speed to 45 miles per hour. So, driving, driving, driving, and.... traffic jam. Terrific. Jessica pulled off to use a rest-stop and figured she'd catch up. About 10 minutes later, I hear over AM radio that I-75 is shut down due to flooding, and traffic is being re-routed. Now, we were about 2 miles from where we needed to exit and take a different highway - only they shut down I-75 one exit before we could get there. To make matters worse, while I was in the traffic jam and Jessica was using the restroom, they closed the highway down behind me!
Where were we? Findlay Ohio - a town that wound up in a level 3 emergency the following day, with ridiculous amounts of flooding!!! (Look for images using Google)
Long story short - I call my dad, who has access to Mapquest, and have him guide me to a main road in Findlay - away from the mess that was the detour that state troopers were guiding people to. I called Jessica, who had instinctively found her way there anyways- and we eventually wound up together again. Then, while talking to my dad, I had him try to navigate us using county roads to try to get to our other highway.... much of the conversation was:
Dad: go straight.
Me: I can't - the road is closed to flooding.
Dad: Ok.... turn right.... turn left... you could take this next road...
Me: Nope - that one is flooded too.
Dad: Ok..... well....
Yeah. That was great. So, we finally find a road that would take us there, and.... there is a foot and a half of running water flowing over the road. So I not-so-gracefully pull a U-turn in my 17' Uhaul pulling a car, when out of my rear-view, I see an oldsmobile sedan cautiously make it over the mini-river.... I decide that we can make it too, and low and behold, we both make it - though we could feel the water trying to push Jessica's car, and my trailer off the road.
Whew!!
We got into Columbus about 6 hours after we left (it should only take 3 hours for a normal car). Then, in a light rain, we hauled ass to move our stuff into our second story apartment. We unloaded an entire 17' uhaul, and 2 full cars in 2 hours. (Including a queen bed, a frame, an L-shaped couch, 2 chairs, an entertainment center, a dresser, and all our other stuff.)
Then we spent about 6 hours trying to put things together, and move stuff around.
Wednesday we got cable/internet installed, got lots of stuff put away.
Thursday we got a costco membership and explored the area around our apartment - the nicest Kroger EVER just 1 mile away. Penzey's spices, 2 miles away. A huge park with 1 mile jogging/rollerblading track, sand volleyball courts, football field, tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball fields: across the street. A bed/bath/beyond: 1.5 miles. A P.F. Chang express: next to the bad/bath/beyond. World Market, Target, Macy's, within 2 miles. Its sooooo great!!!
Thursday.... not really memorable. Continued to fix up the apartment... joined Netflix, since it is cheaper than renting 3 movies/month at Hollywoods new great $3.99/movie price.
Friday... bought some accent pillows, some new shoes, ate at the cheesecake factory....
Saturday... witnessed a crazy storm- tornado sirens going off - one touched down somewhere near our apartment - a couple miles west of us.
Sunday... paperwork, paperwork, paperwork - making sure everything was set.
Monday... took pictures of the apartment and continued making sure we have everything set.
I have until September 10th to relax - then I start orientation at Fisher.
For those that want the pictures.... we have 2 new galleries: Moving and Columbus at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hummeljm
Ok.... let me take you through the last week or so.....
Pre-August 20: packing - not too bad. We spent about an hour or two a day and got all set for the U-haul. No stress, lots of excitement.
August 20th: U-haul time. Wow. We got to pick up the U-haul from Ann Arbor, and the trailer to tow my car from Farmington Hills. And yeah, it was REALLY raining. We also stopped by IKEA and bought a sofa. We packed all our stuff up except for a few things.... AND... we found that my basement was flooding! Yeah.... that was crazy! I think it had started a couple days before, because there was already some mold growing on my guitar amp and the bottom of my entertainment center. Yikes!!!
August 21st: On the road to Columbus.... only with my car being towed, I had to keep the speed to 45 miles per hour. So, driving, driving, driving, and.... traffic jam. Terrific. Jessica pulled off to use a rest-stop and figured she'd catch up. About 10 minutes later, I hear over AM radio that I-75 is shut down due to flooding, and traffic is being re-routed. Now, we were about 2 miles from where we needed to exit and take a different highway - only they shut down I-75 one exit before we could get there. To make matters worse, while I was in the traffic jam and Jessica was using the restroom, they closed the highway down behind me!
Where were we? Findlay Ohio - a town that wound up in a level 3 emergency the following day, with ridiculous amounts of flooding!!! (Look for images using Google)
Long story short - I call my dad, who has access to Mapquest, and have him guide me to a main road in Findlay - away from the mess that was the detour that state troopers were guiding people to. I called Jessica, who had instinctively found her way there anyways- and we eventually wound up together again. Then, while talking to my dad, I had him try to navigate us using county roads to try to get to our other highway.... much of the conversation was:
Dad: go straight.
Me: I can't - the road is closed to flooding.
Dad: Ok.... turn right.... turn left... you could take this next road...
Me: Nope - that one is flooded too.
Dad: Ok..... well....
Yeah. That was great. So, we finally find a road that would take us there, and.... there is a foot and a half of running water flowing over the road. So I not-so-gracefully pull a U-turn in my 17' Uhaul pulling a car, when out of my rear-view, I see an oldsmobile sedan cautiously make it over the mini-river.... I decide that we can make it too, and low and behold, we both make it - though we could feel the water trying to push Jessica's car, and my trailer off the road.
Whew!!
We got into Columbus about 6 hours after we left (it should only take 3 hours for a normal car). Then, in a light rain, we hauled ass to move our stuff into our second story apartment. We unloaded an entire 17' uhaul, and 2 full cars in 2 hours. (Including a queen bed, a frame, an L-shaped couch, 2 chairs, an entertainment center, a dresser, and all our other stuff.)
Then we spent about 6 hours trying to put things together, and move stuff around.
Wednesday we got cable/internet installed, got lots of stuff put away.
Thursday we got a costco membership and explored the area around our apartment - the nicest Kroger EVER just 1 mile away. Penzey's spices, 2 miles away. A huge park with 1 mile jogging/rollerblading track, sand volleyball courts, football field, tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball fields: across the street. A bed/bath/beyond: 1.5 miles. A P.F. Chang express: next to the bad/bath/beyond. World Market, Target, Macy's, within 2 miles. Its sooooo great!!!
Thursday.... not really memorable. Continued to fix up the apartment... joined Netflix, since it is cheaper than renting 3 movies/month at Hollywoods new great $3.99/movie price.
Friday... bought some accent pillows, some new shoes, ate at the cheesecake factory....
Saturday... witnessed a crazy storm- tornado sirens going off - one touched down somewhere near our apartment - a couple miles west of us.
Sunday... paperwork, paperwork, paperwork - making sure everything was set.
Monday... took pictures of the apartment and continued making sure we have everything set.
I have until September 10th to relax - then I start orientation at Fisher.
For those that want the pictures.... we have 2 new galleries: Moving and Columbus at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hummeljm

1 Comments:
At 9:41 PM,
Kathleen said…
Ugh, sorry to hear about your day of horrendous driving... yech. Was your parents' house OK with the tornado that touched down in Fenton?
But your apartment looks AWESOME (I love the Ikea goodies and the GINORMOUS costco bag of rice... yay!) I'm glad to hear you guys are settling in. Keep the stories coming!
Oh, and I totally want a picture of the panic button!!
Post a Comment
<< Home