I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

F*ing Accounting!

WOW. Ok, so.... literally every weekday since school started - I have been doing something school-related from 8am-midnight. With midterm exams coming up next week, I can't imagine I'll have much of a weekend. (Last weekend I spent over 30 hours studying).

I'm a little surprised that I'm not more stressed out, and I thought that I'd have more trouble adjusting to the newfound workload, but I think mostly I'm happy to be challenged again. Working at ResComp only tested my patience. I'm finally being challenged mentally again.

Lets examine how I'm being challenged:

Financial Accounting seems WAY harder than it should be. Most homework problems take me 3-4 hours. Yeah- individual problems. And it isn't like they are super long - there are just a bunch of things to do to get the answer. I'm hoping to get my time down to about 1 hour on those problems. The teacher can do them on the board- explaining as he goes in about 45 minutes.

Econ. Good God. Our professor is a hard ass. She's also the associate dean for MBA programs. DO NOT walk into the classroom even 5 seconds late. She stops class to make sure you know how much she dislikes tardiness. Content-wise, not toooooo bad..... I'll find out this weekend in the library whether I really know this stuff or not.

Enhancing Professional Interchange
Essentially public speaking, but in a business setting. Not terribly hard, but it is nerve-wracking getting up every week in front of 35 peers, sometimes for an impromptu speech, other times for the speech you prepared.

Organizational Behavior. I have no idea what is going on in this class. Everything seems too easy - like its common sense.... we're going over things like motivation, communication, business culture, etc.... lots of stuff that relates to the "soft skills" and the touchy-feely side of business.

Data Analysis and statistics for Managers. Ick. I'm slowly but surely becoming an excel guru, though. Everything is done through excel, and its all about analyzing data (go figure), and figuring out how to properly represent and present it. For instance - you're given a bunch of data- maybe a list of employee hire dates, their salaries, and the organizational unit that they belong to. From that, we might need to rearrange the data to show which data unit is paying the most on average, or maybe which unit is oldest, or maybe the mean average for the group, the varience, and if given a correlation table, the expected salary for ..... yeah.... you get the picture. P.S. - if you ever need to use Excel for anything, learn how to use Pivot Tables. They are quite possibly the MOST powerful functions within excel. You can rearrange data quite easily. Want to see how the girls in your class are scoring compared to the boys? Piece of cake. Want to see the percentage of days that your students are absent? Or which sex is absent the most? It can easily pick apart and rearrange your data in nearly any way you need it represented.

Those are the classes. Work is going well - I'm a student ambassador, and tomorrow I'll be conducting my first tour/informal visit with a prospective student. Thus far, I've been working with our prospective student database, running queries, entering names, creating email templates, etc.

Careerwise, I'm not doing anything - I'm busy enough at school, only getting 5-6 hours of sleep each night, with no time for my personal life (or Jessica!!!) so I have no time for my internship search.

I do have time to have joined 3 clubs: the MBA Marketing Association, the MBA Sports Association, and NetImpact - a national organization based on business issues of social responsibilitiy, environmental concerns, and sustainability. None take up too much time - the sports association fielded an IM volleyball team that I'm on.... sadly, there are 2 girls that are on the team that absolutely CAN NOT PLAY. My ass hair could do better than them. I mean.... if you're going to join a sports team, shouldn't you at least have some concept of how to play, or at least possess 1 skill within that sport? Neither of them can serve, set, spike, block, or bump (let alone make contact with the ball in many cases). Its kind of frustrating, because the guys are all pretty good, and the other 2 girls are really good. Oh well. Co-ed sports teams are not the place to be competitive.

Anyways, that's my life. I probably won't be posting again until the end of this month, or possibly early November.

Busy and Loving it!
-Ben

1 Comments:

  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Whew! Sounds like things are busy, but it also sounds like you're having a good time with it all (maybe except for those accounting problems... ech). Thanks for the tip on Pivot Tables... I've never used those, so I'll have to check it out.

    Anyhow, it's nice to hear you're enjoying your choice. We all miss you both up here, but are glad you're getting where you want to be. Say hi to Jessica for us! (actually, she'll probably read this, so, Hi Jessica!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home