I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Monday, November 12, 2007

I'm going to take a quick break from studying to post.

Um. Ok, let me start off by saying: WTF is wrong with Columbus??? Its spooky down here - living as a wolverine in hiding. Its "Beat Michigan Week". They renamed Michigan Ave in downtown Columbus to be "Buckeye Way". The MAYOR was there dedicating it. Also, pretty much every radio station is playing the music on this guy's site, gas stations have messages on their signs - things like: "Michigan is going to file a lawsuit after the game against OSU for assault."... everyone is wearing Michigan Who T-shirts.... dear god, its literally my worst nightmare.

It gives me the hibbly jibblies.

Um, in other news, I am ridiculously busy (and yet, somehow wasting 30 minutes blogging!). Thursday was an exam... Thursday and Friday I had a case competition. Whats a case competition? Well- basically you enter a team of 4 students, and compete against other teams of 4. At a specific time, the group is given a case study - a business situation that outlines a problem of some sort. Some cases are 1 page, some are 20 pages or more. This particular case was about 2 pages long. The general gist was that we had to imagine we were Procter and Gamble in the year 2003, and were about to introduce a new mid-tier grade toilet paper called "Charmin Basic." We had to come up with a marketing strategy, given a limited budget, decide how to price a 12 pack, how to roll out the product, etc. We needed to prepare a powerpoint demonstration and a 12 minute presentation and be ready for 8 minutes of questions. There were 4 judges (plus all the other teams that we presented to) and the judges would ask all sorts of tough questions - like - "Are you concerned that at the price you've chosen, you may begin cannibalizing sales from your premium brand (Charmin Ultra)?" Or - "Are you concerned that at the price you've chosen, you might be competing with the store's own generic brand? Why would they want to carry your product?" or "With your marketing strategy, do you see the outlined advertising as effective? What concerns do you see?" Out of 8 teams, my team took home honorable mention, but I took the award for Best Presenter. (Yay me!) The prize for this was a bunch of procter and gamble stuff - Crest, Febreze, Bounce, free Charmin, and I even got a $100 electric toothbrush for being best presenter. That was 5 hours of Thursday and about 7 hours of Friday. Then, after getting home Friday evening, I began work on a 2nd case competition that concludes Tuesday.

Saturday Jess and I went to the Fabulous Food Show to see Alton Brown and Giada DeLaurentis. We got to see them each do some cooking, and they answered questions from the crowd. It was pretty neat.

Sunday was a group meeting and a bunch of work on the case competition for Tuesday, plus reading and homework that is due this week.

Today we had no school (Veteran's Day), and I spent most of the day preparing our case for the case competition, and what little other time I've had has been spent studying for Financial Accounting. Tomorrow, class until 3:30pm, case competition from 4 until 9, and then more studying until midnight. Wednesday: Class and work until 5, intramural volleyball until 7pm, and then packing.

Thursday: I drive to Benton Harbor, Michigan. I return Friday evening around 8pm, and from there I meet up with the other MBA student ambassadors for our big recruiting weekend. We have a bunch of prospective students coming in for a weekend recruiting event - Friday night is a kickoff dinner, Saturday there are several events, one of which includes me watching the UM/OSU football game with the prospective students. Then Sunday I'll be catching up on the classes I missed on Thursday, working on homework with my group for the coming week, and then I have 3 semi-normal days until Thanksgiving. Jessica and I are staying here and cooking, and we've invited one of my teammates, Yung-Te Lin (Derrick). He's from Taiwan, and super nice. He's kind of small, and looks young, but he's actually 32 years old. Its crazy.

Anyways.... through all of that, I failed to mention why I was going to Benton Harbor.

Well....

I have been offered a summer internship at Whirlpool. They're bringing up all the MBA students that they've offered internships to, and having a reception where they'll essentially try to convince us to accept. I look forward to it. :)

The craziest thing is the pay. I was not expecting nearly that much as an intern. They're offering me $3,500 for living expenses, a free 24 hour gym membership, and $6,700/month. (Also - if anyone needs new appliances - let me know - I'll be eligible to purchase them at a discount.) So... yay me!!!!

I'm quickly becoming the superstar in our class - everyone knows I got the internship, that I don't worry about the exams, and most people know about the Best Presenter thing. Plus I do it all while married AND working 10 hours a week as a student ambassador. Even I secretly hate me a little bit. :)

Ok - really gotta run. Studying calls.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Well well well. Mr. Big Shot indeed! Congratulations! (And after we win on Saturday - please God - you can tell them it is all because you went to Michigan for undergrad! (Even if it's a lie.)) We all knew you were a smarty pants.

    That's crazy that the whole city is so rabid. You don't see that up here so much... obviously not a good time to break out the BlueFreak. Good luck watching the game Saturday and not getting lynched!

     
  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger Sunshine said…

    ewwww, Columbus-ites are weird ;p why waste so much energy on hating us when we're going to win? hmmm, maybe that's why :)

    go you - get down with your bad self! glad to hear that class/work is going so well - don't forget in the midst of all your studying and preparing to do fun/nice things for Jessica. The cooking show sounds like it was definitely up that alley, but even something cute and silly like a tin of tea or a note from you waiting for her in an unexpected place would probably make her day. This is courtesy of your friend the almost-finished-professional-student :) have fun watching us crush the Buckeyes! GO BLUE!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home