I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Ok, I know I've been promising a summary of my vacation for some time now, and I haven't delivered yet, but hey- thats the breaks. Anyways- without further ado- here's a day by day summary:

Thursday - woke up hella early to get to the airport and catch our flight- we flew from DTW to Atlanta, and then on to Cancun. Jessica gets motion sick pretty easily, and has never flown on an airplane without throwing up, so she went and got some scopalamine skin patches - you put a patch behind your ear about 3 hours before you expect the motion sickness to begin, and you can keep the patch there for 3 days. The patch did its job, and we had a fine flight. We arrived in Cancun, had no problems in the airport, and then took our pre-scheduled ride to our hotel- rather than trying to choose from the hundreds of people shouting "need a taxi honeymooners?" Yes- we were called honeymooners through our entire trip. We arrived at the hotel, checked in, found the restaurant and ate lunch (it was about 3pm), then relaxed on the beach for a bit, and made arrangements to go to Cozumel and snorkel the next day. Had a late dinner, and because we were both pretty tired, went to bed early.

Friday - woke up early for our trip to Cozumel, took a cab to "Aquaworld" which is the company with which we arranged the trip, and boarded our bus. From there, we had a 45 minute ride to Playa Carmen, where we boarded a ferry to take us to the island of Cozumel. (Because of the hurricane last year, you can only get to Cozumel by ferry through Playa Carmen.) Sadly, Jessica took off her patch the previous day, and she was not feeling well on the ferry. Once we got to Cozumel, we boarded a smaller boat which took us around the island to the snorkeling location. Jessica wasn't feeling good on this smaller boat, and getting in the water and snorkeling didn't do much for her, as the water was a bit choppy. Also, we bought a relatively cheap underwater housing for her camera, and it turns out that it wasn't so great- the moment I jumped in, water leaked in and ruined her camera. Oh well. The snorkeling was neat. After the snorkeling, we ate lunch at a mexican restaurant (uh.... like there are any other kinds in Mexico! j/k) and got a chance to walk around for a bit. Cozumel is very colorful - I wish Jessica's camera hadn't been ruined- I would have had some pretty pictures. Anyways, back on the ferry, more sea sickness, another ride back to Cancun, and then we just relaxed all evening.

Saturday - woke up earlyish and got a head start on our tanning. We were out by about 9am, and soaked up the rays until about 3pm. During that time, we both applied a ton of sunscreen about 4 times, but we both ended up burned- Jessica worse than I. We stayed indoors for the evening, and began applying aloe.

Sunday - woke up earlyish again, and took a cab up to playa langosta (lobster beach). From there, we caught a 20 minute ferry ride to Isla Mujeres, and spent a few hours at Dolphin Discovery. We got to spend about an hour swimming with dolphins, and we bought a couple pictures. It was definitely the coolest thing I've ever done - the dolphins are amazing animals- it was well worth the $125/person (and that included the round trip ferry and lunch). Once we got back to the hotel, we stayed indoors. Jessica put on a patch for the ferry ride, but wasn't feeling too well. Could it be that Montezuma's revenge had struck? .... yes.

Monday - spent the day relaxing in our hotel room - we were both burned, both having a battle with Montezuma..... we decided to stay in, read, sleep, watch TV, and play our Nintendo DSes. (Those are freaking fun as hell, btw. Get "Brain Age" and you'll just about never put it down.)

Tuesday - Time to go - we left the hotel around 10:30am, hopped our flight, and after a decently long layover in Atlanta, arrived in DTW at about 9:30pm.

Bottom line- a fun and relaxing trip, well worth the money, I discovered that I could understand more spanish than I was giving myself credit for, but most of all, I appreciate being home, and I feel refreshed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home