I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Monday, May 22, 2006

I'm going blind

What a nice weekend. Friday evening Jessica and I watched "The Family Stone" - a movie I was a little skeptical of, but in the end, wound up in tears just like every other movie where someone dies. Hey- I get emotionally attached very easily. Anyways- I liked the movie. It kind of makes me think of how future holidays could be for Jessica and I, given the hostility from her mother. Plus, the Pistons won, so that was cool.

Saturday, we slept in until about 1:30pm, and then we went shopping. My computer monitor (8 years old) has really been acting up lately, the red gun is starting to go, making my screen turn slightly bluish-green... and the high-pitched hum coming from the monitor is really annoying. So I decided to buy a new one. Also, I'm tired of kicking my subwoofer to get my speakers to start working, so I decided to buy some computer speakers if I could find some. It took just about every ounce of willpower to convince myself that I did not need the Apple 23" HD monitor, and instead I decided that I would try to find a 19 or 20" monitor for $400 or less. In the end, I found a pretty good deal at Best Buy- it matched the lowest price I could find on the internet, and I found speakers for about $100.

Afterwards, Jessica and I went to bed, bath, and beyond to pick up a couple of.... shelf thingies... I don't know what to call them exactly, and they don't have them online... but they're wood (or close enough)... they're about 3 feet high, 1 foot wide, and 1 foot deep, and they basically have 3 shelves. Anyways, I bought two of those, and later, cleaned up my room and threw away a bunch of old maxims and popular science magazines.

We also headed over to the pet store, though we were only there to look around- I don't want a pet right now, and Jessica is still in college, so it really isn't a great plan for her to get one either. We also checked out Hillers and Whole Foods- just kind of looking around at the selections of meat, seafood, and fruit.

From there, we stopped by the Ann Arbor Public Library, and I donated my CD collection: 50 CDs, all from pre-1999; I took my bike in for repair- I need my rear hub overhauled... we also rented a pair of movies, which we thought were mediocre: "Munich" and "Hoodwinked", and we did a bit of rollerblading.

On to Sunday, and Jessica and I slept in really late again, and headed to Hillers and Whole Foods - we picked up some food for the week- including yesterday's delicious dinner: Dungeness Crab. We bought a pair, and had them cleaned, and when we got home, Jess worked on homework while I read a GMAT book, and watched the Pistons game. Afterward, we cooked our crabs, and had a nice dinner.

It was a good weekend. Now onto the 2 bad moments. #1) My printer won't turn on. It did the same thing a few months ago, and I had to take it to Milford to get it repaired. I'm hoping its still under warranty, though I have my doubts. Big deal. But, for those of you out printer shopping- I'd like to recommend against purchasing a Canon MP400.

Now the weird thing.... I have a blind spot in my left eye. Maybe it isn't blindness.... maybe its just really, really blurry.... I don't know. Anyways, back around March/April 2002, I had a really, really, really stressfull semester in college- I got a 2.5 GPA for that term. Anyways, I developed a spot in my left eye- right dead smack in the center, where I couldn't see anything- it shows up the most when reading text- if I look at a solid color, I can't tell that the spot is there- but if I try to read something, its like a few letters just aren't there- like the color behind the text- usually white- engulfs the letters, and they just aren't there. After that semester... roughly a month later- the spot went away. It hasn't been back since. During that time, I went and saw an eye doctor, and he suggested that it might have been stress induced. He gave me a prescription for glasses to help me read, and that was that.

Well guess what- the spot is back. Same eye, same place, and I'm wearing the glasses to try to prevent too much eye strain. I don't think I'm under too much stress right now- I mean, I'm not worried about anything in particular... but the other night, before my blind spot, I also had a dream that involved me having a lot of loose/missing teeth - which, according to the dream dictionary means that my health/business may be in jeopardy. So thats weird. Anyways, I hope everyone else had a nice weekend. Its almost June!

4 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Eva Fury said…

    hah hah, I applaud your restraint with the HD Apple monitor:) Sounds like a pretty good weekend overall!

    Oh yeah, I think Wife and I were telling you that you need to check out Pink is the New Blog
    www.trent.blogspot.com
    If you like The Superficial etc., you'll like Pink:)

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Yikes! No blindness allowed! If I were you, I'd take that health insurance you pay for each month and go get my eyes checked.

    Oh, and your crab dinner sounds tasty! Too bad Husband has a thing about seafood (some nonsense about "texture").

    And yes, I'm with Sasha... you should read Pink!

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger Avi said…

    Hey Ben. I don't often comment, but this one I thought might be helpful. Blindspots are often associated with migraines, so you might want to consider a neurologist over an eye doctor. If you prefer the more alternative route, I believe that there are some yoga moves, stretches, and breathing exercises that can help relax muscles that strangely are associated with stress and vision, so you might want to check that out too. The blindspots/stress connection is fairly common, so as much as neurologists love to run expensive MRIs and such, it might just be your brain telling you it needs a vacation from whatever's on your mind.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger Sunshine said…

    your personal physician says, listen to shoshana and take a break; you're stressing over something whether your realize it or not - chill out on the diag or something.

    but, also, in seriousness, keep tabs on it - it's good that you noticed that you only really see it with text - keep a little log or something of your symptoms to check on if they're getting worse - and if they are, use your common sense and GO SEE SOMEONE; regardless of what it could have been a few years ago, a recurrence in the same eye in the same place is suspicious and should be monitored. your eyesight is precious! take care of it ;) oh, and by the way, exercise?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home