Nothing special, just a little update. Work is going well, and I especially LOVE having my new car- A/C is SOOO luxurious! Plus I am averaging nearly 53 miles per gallon! People behind me hate me, as I accelerate like cold molasses, but hey - F* em!
Short story:
Today, after I got off the freeway, there was a mercury cougar on the shoulder of the off-ramp, and a young woman- very normal looking, maybe 25ish, who was crying and on her cellphone. I was not in any hurry, but I didn't stop and ask if she needed any help.
My question to you: Would you have stopped to see if she was ok/needed help?
Issue to ponder- (especially if you wouldn't have stopped either): why is our society so disconnected? Why do we choose to stay out of others' issues, rather than to help our fellow man/woman? Why do we choose to ignore and shut out the pain of others?
I feel bad for not stopping. She didn't look particularly distressed, but maybe stopping to ask if she was ok would have made her feel better. It certainly wouldn't have cost me anything. Maybe next time.
Short story:
Today, after I got off the freeway, there was a mercury cougar on the shoulder of the off-ramp, and a young woman- very normal looking, maybe 25ish, who was crying and on her cellphone. I was not in any hurry, but I didn't stop and ask if she needed any help.
My question to you: Would you have stopped to see if she was ok/needed help?
Issue to ponder- (especially if you wouldn't have stopped either): why is our society so disconnected? Why do we choose to stay out of others' issues, rather than to help our fellow man/woman? Why do we choose to ignore and shut out the pain of others?
I feel bad for not stopping. She didn't look particularly distressed, but maybe stopping to ask if she was ok would have made her feel better. It certainly wouldn't have cost me anything. Maybe next time.

2 Comments:
At 10:20 PM,
Kathleen said…
I've had the same mixed emotions. I know I wish someone would stop for me (and people have), but I'm too scared to do it myself. One, I can't fix a car; the best I could do is offer my phone. Two, what if it was a trap and I was assaulted/robbed/etc.?
Your question is a good one: what does that say about our society? It's scary.
At 10:25 PM,
Sunshine said…
I agree, it is sad and somewhat disconcerting. I probably wouldn't have stopped, but definitely would have sent out my warm fuzzy vibes towards her. I think, personally, I've been burned by asking people if they need help / are ok in public situations like that, which has thus in turn discouraged me from doing so again in the future. Hopefully there are still some good Samaritan folks out there that will stop should I ever need it.
Post a Comment
<< Home