Drama, drama, drama.
Ok, so on Friday, Jessica was sick- throwing up 3x per hour for 7 hours sick. Yeah. We went to the emergency room, and they gave her an IV and medicine, and she felt better after being there for 5 hours. I took her back to my place, and the next morning she still wasn't feeling good. Fearing a return trip to the hospital, I decided not to go to my friend's wedding (Sorry Kohut!!!), and instead, proceeded to go fill her anti-nausea prescription, and then bring her ice chips and chicken broth all day. Well, at some point around 1pm, her mom called and wanted to know how she was feeling. She then asked why she was at my place, and then more pointedly: if we are sleeping together. Jessica chose not to lie, and said that yes- we are sleeping together. So the mom hung up the phone.
Well... she called back a few moments later, and started telling Jessica that it isn't proper, that she's disappointed, etc etc etc. She started suggesting that I was influencing her, that I might be using her, that she could be pregant (she isn't- they ran a test in the ER, and her period was a week ago).... that she could get a disease, blah blah blah. Now, after hearing her rant (I was sitting next to Jessica and could hear through the cell phone) for close to 30 minutes, and then tell Jessica she was going to come down from Alpena (she was going to come Sunday to take Jess's sister back up for a few days), I decided enough was enough. I asked for the phone and spoke with Jessica's mom. I was calm about it, and let her know that I wasn't going to try to argue right versus wrong, or try to change her views and morals. But I did explain why Jessica was at my place all the time- Jessica's sister is a pain for Jessica to be around.... and I did tell her that I love Jessica very much, that she is in my plans for as far as I can see (at least 3 years, because thats as far ahead as I plan), and that I could certainly see myself with her for the rest of my life. Also, in the event that Jessica were to have a child, that there would be a ring on her finger, because I think its the right thing to do. (I really do believe that). Did this help the mom? Who knows. But she came down anyways. Jessica started to get more stressed- because this wasn't going to be about her being sick, it was going to be about her sleeping with me. Stress was not something she wanted while feeling nauseated.
So after the Michigan football game was over, I took Jessica back to her place and discussed strategy. I suggested being as calm as possible, and letting her mom know how she felt every step of the way- you aren't going to "win" the argument - just try to come to an understanding. Also, that if it became too much of an attack- drag her older sister into it. (Her older sister is sleeping with her boyfriend too!!!) When we got to the apartment, she made a beeline to her sister's room to see if the condoms were still there. They were. Good. Evidence. I left, and didn't hear anything until Sunday after her family had left to go back to Alpena. (Family being her mom, and older and younger sister).
So here's what happened: When her mom showed up, she spent 30 seconds on questions about Jessica's health, and after determining that it wasn't life threatening, started drilling her about sleeping with me- with the 16 year old sister right there. Jessica just let her go off, and eventually, did mention that her older sister was sleeping with her b/f too. At that point, the mom pretty much stopped, took the younger sister and went out to get food. But first, asked Jessica if she wanted any food from town. UM- SHE WAS JUST THROWING EVERYTHING UP!!!! YOU THINK SHE'S READY FOR GREASY FOOD??????? JEEEEZZZZZ.
So anyways, while the mom/younger sis are away, the older sis comes home with the boyfriend, sees the family's bags, makes a beeline for her room, and puts the condoms in the b/f's bag. He leaves before the mom ever gets a chance to see him. Jessica spends the rest of the night in her room alone, and can hear the older/younger sister whispering about her in the next room. Grrr. The next morning, the mom comes in, and starts trying to make Jessica question our relationship- I might be using her for sex, I might leave her if I get her pregnant, etc etc. Keep in mind, she just went through a divorce, her husband cheated on her, and as far as I can tell, she has no trust in men right now. I wish she would keep her mistrust to herself. :)
So anyways, Jessica listens to her mom, basically tells her mom that she's old enough to make her own decisions, and that she's made this one. So Jessica's mom goes and gets the older sister, and brings her in for a talk. The younger sister is allowed to come and sit in the room and watch and add her 2 cents. So its pretty much 3 on 1, and although they start this conversation with "this isn't directed at you, this isn't an attack".... their body language said otherwise. So they attack her about not being at the apartment a whole lot, about her sleeping with me, about her not getting along with her older sister, about her telling me things that her older sister does to annoy her... meanwhile, the older sister lies all over the place- saying Jessica doesn't clean the apartment, Jessica isn't nice to me, blah blah blah. When the sleeping together thing came up, Jessica mentioned again that the older sister sleeps with her boyfriend- and the older sister denies it. When Jessica mentions the condoms and the drawer is checked - they are of course, gone. (Oh, how convenient). So then the older sister accuses Jessica of making it up, and that she doesn't know what Jessica is doing nowadays, and blah blah blah. Can we say hippocrit??????? I mean look. Are you that scared to tell your mom the truth???? If so- you shouldn't be having sex. Anyways, the mom kept trying to put doubts into Jessica's head about our relationship- and then wanted Jessica to start going to church, and the kicker: wants Jessica to withhold sex with me for a month- to test my true intentions. Yeah.
So after hearing all of this, I have so many things that I would love to say to Jessica's family- but I wont, because I love Jessica and would love to actually have a functional relationship with possible future in-laws. Needless to say, Jessica isn't happy about living with her sister, and she's looking for housing for next year. She'd also like to see a counselor about all this. Someone to help her figure out what to do- someone to help keep her head from spinning off with all this garbage.
So yeah. That was my weekend! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Ok, so on Friday, Jessica was sick- throwing up 3x per hour for 7 hours sick. Yeah. We went to the emergency room, and they gave her an IV and medicine, and she felt better after being there for 5 hours. I took her back to my place, and the next morning she still wasn't feeling good. Fearing a return trip to the hospital, I decided not to go to my friend's wedding (Sorry Kohut!!!), and instead, proceeded to go fill her anti-nausea prescription, and then bring her ice chips and chicken broth all day. Well, at some point around 1pm, her mom called and wanted to know how she was feeling. She then asked why she was at my place, and then more pointedly: if we are sleeping together. Jessica chose not to lie, and said that yes- we are sleeping together. So the mom hung up the phone.
Well... she called back a few moments later, and started telling Jessica that it isn't proper, that she's disappointed, etc etc etc. She started suggesting that I was influencing her, that I might be using her, that she could be pregant (she isn't- they ran a test in the ER, and her period was a week ago).... that she could get a disease, blah blah blah. Now, after hearing her rant (I was sitting next to Jessica and could hear through the cell phone) for close to 30 minutes, and then tell Jessica she was going to come down from Alpena (she was going to come Sunday to take Jess's sister back up for a few days), I decided enough was enough. I asked for the phone and spoke with Jessica's mom. I was calm about it, and let her know that I wasn't going to try to argue right versus wrong, or try to change her views and morals. But I did explain why Jessica was at my place all the time- Jessica's sister is a pain for Jessica to be around.... and I did tell her that I love Jessica very much, that she is in my plans for as far as I can see (at least 3 years, because thats as far ahead as I plan), and that I could certainly see myself with her for the rest of my life. Also, in the event that Jessica were to have a child, that there would be a ring on her finger, because I think its the right thing to do. (I really do believe that). Did this help the mom? Who knows. But she came down anyways. Jessica started to get more stressed- because this wasn't going to be about her being sick, it was going to be about her sleeping with me. Stress was not something she wanted while feeling nauseated.
So after the Michigan football game was over, I took Jessica back to her place and discussed strategy. I suggested being as calm as possible, and letting her mom know how she felt every step of the way- you aren't going to "win" the argument - just try to come to an understanding. Also, that if it became too much of an attack- drag her older sister into it. (Her older sister is sleeping with her boyfriend too!!!) When we got to the apartment, she made a beeline to her sister's room to see if the condoms were still there. They were. Good. Evidence. I left, and didn't hear anything until Sunday after her family had left to go back to Alpena. (Family being her mom, and older and younger sister).
So here's what happened: When her mom showed up, she spent 30 seconds on questions about Jessica's health, and after determining that it wasn't life threatening, started drilling her about sleeping with me- with the 16 year old sister right there. Jessica just let her go off, and eventually, did mention that her older sister was sleeping with her b/f too. At that point, the mom pretty much stopped, took the younger sister and went out to get food. But first, asked Jessica if she wanted any food from town. UM- SHE WAS JUST THROWING EVERYTHING UP!!!! YOU THINK SHE'S READY FOR GREASY FOOD??????? JEEEEZZZZZ.
So anyways, while the mom/younger sis are away, the older sis comes home with the boyfriend, sees the family's bags, makes a beeline for her room, and puts the condoms in the b/f's bag. He leaves before the mom ever gets a chance to see him. Jessica spends the rest of the night in her room alone, and can hear the older/younger sister whispering about her in the next room. Grrr. The next morning, the mom comes in, and starts trying to make Jessica question our relationship- I might be using her for sex, I might leave her if I get her pregnant, etc etc. Keep in mind, she just went through a divorce, her husband cheated on her, and as far as I can tell, she has no trust in men right now. I wish she would keep her mistrust to herself. :)
So anyways, Jessica listens to her mom, basically tells her mom that she's old enough to make her own decisions, and that she's made this one. So Jessica's mom goes and gets the older sister, and brings her in for a talk. The younger sister is allowed to come and sit in the room and watch and add her 2 cents. So its pretty much 3 on 1, and although they start this conversation with "this isn't directed at you, this isn't an attack".... their body language said otherwise. So they attack her about not being at the apartment a whole lot, about her sleeping with me, about her not getting along with her older sister, about her telling me things that her older sister does to annoy her... meanwhile, the older sister lies all over the place- saying Jessica doesn't clean the apartment, Jessica isn't nice to me, blah blah blah. When the sleeping together thing came up, Jessica mentioned again that the older sister sleeps with her boyfriend- and the older sister denies it. When Jessica mentions the condoms and the drawer is checked - they are of course, gone. (Oh, how convenient). So then the older sister accuses Jessica of making it up, and that she doesn't know what Jessica is doing nowadays, and blah blah blah. Can we say hippocrit??????? I mean look. Are you that scared to tell your mom the truth???? If so- you shouldn't be having sex. Anyways, the mom kept trying to put doubts into Jessica's head about our relationship- and then wanted Jessica to start going to church, and the kicker: wants Jessica to withhold sex with me for a month- to test my true intentions. Yeah.
So after hearing all of this, I have so many things that I would love to say to Jessica's family- but I wont, because I love Jessica and would love to actually have a functional relationship with possible future in-laws. Needless to say, Jessica isn't happy about living with her sister, and she's looking for housing for next year. She'd also like to see a counselor about all this. Someone to help her figure out what to do- someone to help keep her head from spinning off with all this garbage.
So yeah. That was my weekend! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

1 Comments:
At 6:28 PM,
Kathleen said…
That is one doosy of a story... I've had similarly-themed parental issues, but boy, does that take the cake! The mom does sound a little paranoid, post-divorce, but good for Jessica standing up to that! That takes some serious balls.
Also, if you want to stop recieving the spam comments, under Settings and Comments, you can set word verification. That helps, usually.
Post a Comment
<< Home