I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Snarl.
Ok, so the bad luck continues. I got denied health insurance. Yeah. I know. Denied. Me. I mean- shit- I'm healthier than about 95% of the country- I'm fit, I eat right, I haven't needed to see a doctor of any kind in the last 2 years.... I couldn't believe it! Well, I guess I can. They denied me because of the whole "Chron's disease" thing. I have a letter saying its more compatible with non-specific ilietis, but the insurance company doesn't care. What I may do is try to get a rider on the policy so that they would cover everything except chrons-related stuff. We'll see.

So there's that.

In other news, Jessica and I have really gotten into cooking. I mean- really. I've never been a big fish-lover, but over the last 2 months, we've had salmon at least once a week, if not more. We've done jamacain jerk salmon, lemon-herb, plain salmon with a mustard dill sauce... its sooooooo goood. We've started doing sauteed mushrooms, and grilled seasoned potatoes.... mmmmmmm. This week we are going to go hog-wild in the kitchen. We're going to try new things every day- going to carmelize some onions in a skillet and add it to some steak.... I'd like to roast some peppers- so that the inside gets really soft, and you peel it from the skin..... seriously- yummy. Oh, and this past week, I invented a new dessert- smorecakes. Make a grahem cracker crust, but instead of putting it in a piecrust form, you pack the crust into cupcake tins. Then bake those, then broil marshmallows on them for a few minutes, then top with melted chocolate and serve. YUM. But they come out a little crumbly. This week Jess and I are making a carrot cake too. :) These desserts that we make (and the ice cream that I keep in the freezer) are my only real sources of fat each day. When I work, I have a banana, 2 apples, and yogurt for breakfast, maybe a protein bar for a mid-morning snack, peanut butter/jelly sandwhich, veggies, fruit, a little colby jack cheese for lunch, and then dinners are pretty low-fat.

And Anne has inspired me to start working out again. Hearing about her success in the gym has gotten me back into working out. I'm just doing weightlifting and abs. I get all the aerobics I need biking to and from work each day. I've already worked out 3 days this past week, and that was just to get my body used to it again. Now it will be time to hit it hard daily.

Alright! Thats it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home