I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

So, a friend told me that sometimes bad things come in 3's. I'm wondering how many multiples of 3 I'm going to have to make it through before this rough streak is over. First there was my car accident, then my g/f's car that died, then my bike with a flat tire, then my g/f's phone that died. Then Jess went away for the weekend and I ended up running out of food before I could get anyone to take me to the store. So I ended up having "Mexican toast" for breakfast. Imagine making french toast, but since my bread was moldy, I used tortillas instead. The result was rather .... rubbery. Taste was allright- I mean- when you drown it in syrup, its going to end up tasting like syrup. So then Jessica's family made her stay an extra day up north, my car was deemed totaled- more on that in a minute.... my bike pedal broke, I've fallen waaaaay behind on a project at work, and I NEED to have it done by the 15th.... I bought new bike pedals but can't get one of them off, and in attempting to do so, I bruised one of my fingers very badly.... I'm going to buy a used car- a '94 Saturn with 130,000 miles on it- for only $500, but I can't do that until Sept 10th, because the current owner is in Colorado until then, meaning I'll be without a car for quite a while.

So, quite a string of bad luck. But I'm ok with it. No big deal. Life could be a lot worse. And you know, as far as the car is considered, it all might actually be for the better. So, the car.... earlier this week the body shop called and told me they found more damage. So much that the car is considered totaled. But the good news is that my insurance company is going to give me $16,218 AFTER my $500 deductible. I bought this car 2 years ago for ~$20,500. Not too shabby. Now, I still owe $8000, but that means that even after I buy the Saturn, I'll come out with around $7500. I can live with that. And for each month that I put off buying a new car, I end up saving the $310/month car payment. (Plus the insurance on the Saturn will be a little lower, as I won't put any collision on this policy). So, maybe this is good. The next time I buy a car, I can put down a bigger downpayment, or maybe I can put this money toward buying a home. If I can keep the Saturn for a year, it will save me about $4000. Thats not too horrible. I miss my Jetta- a lot, but maybe this isn't as bad as I originally thought. I certainly have a lot of options.

As far as my goals- I'm playing a bit more guitar lately, I've done a bit of work with Photoshop and video projects on my own... and working out has only consisted of me an my bike- daily to and from work, and sometimes a little extra- for instance, this week was Kathleen's birthday party, so I biked to the bar and back home. (Going back was quite the adventure). And today I biked to campus to help someone with their computer.... so, not doing any lifting, and no work on the abs, but I'm sure as hell getting my cardio on a daily basis. My eating habits are also pretty good- I eat 1 dessert per day - usually something Jessica and I make - this week its key lime pie. I drink pretty much only water- the exceptions being bars (very seldom) and the occasional lemonade/ice tea. I am also eating a bunch of fish lately- salmon. I've taken a liking to it. Usually 1 fish dish per week, hamburgers once.... yeah- I eat pretty well. So I can at least hang my hat on that.

Alright. Thats it for now. Lets hope this week rocks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home