I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Don't cry for me, Argentina.

So remember, way back when- I was talking about how even when bad stuff happens, I come out ahead? Well here's proof positive...

On tuesday, I was riding my bike to work. I ride down Ashley Street against traffic, but on the sidewalk. So, as I'm crossing Ann Street, an SUV pulls up to the stop, checks the oncoming traffic, and doesn't see me. I get completely in front of her SUV, and to my luck, traffic clears. Without turning her head to look at what is in front of her car (me on my bike) she punches the accelerator. I am knocked off my bike, and thrown about 5 feet. Had there been traffic in the street, I would have been in it. She stops, then briefly moves forward again, and proceeds to run her SUV over my crank, bending my largest gear quite badly. Then she stops and puts her cyclist's-nightmare in park. I get up very quickly, look at my bike, realize that I'll be walking my bike from Ashley and Ann all the way to South Quad, and will need alternate transportation for a few days, and I become very, very angry. I stare at her with as much bewilderment as anger. The only thought going through my mind is- WTF??????!!!!!! WFT is wrong with you?!?!? Was my bright yellow jacket not visible enough?!?!? She asks me several times if I'm okay, but I refuse to answer right away, knowing that if I open my mouth, an endless stream of profanity may rain down upon this "MR F". (Anyone watch Arrested Development??? An MR F is a mentally retarted female). Finally, with clenched teeth, I am able to respond "yes" to her "Are you ok" question. (My only "injury" is a brusied palm, where my thumb connects to my hand. I didn't even scrape my hands enough to bleed.)

Anyways, neither of us had a pen, so I couldn't get her insurance info, but I do copy down her name and phone number into my cell phone. Who names their kid Astrid, anyways? She keeps apologizing, and telling me she didn't see me (I should hope not! That would be attempted manslaughter, if she did!), and how she was distracted because she's going through a divorce.

Ummmm.... do I give half a rat sh**??? No. I'm still pissed about my bent gear. My bike is now unrideable.
So after taking down her information, she tells me that she's glad that I'm ok, and I reply that I'm glad I'm ok too- because I don't have health insurance. At that mention, she turned white as a ghost. I told her not to worry about my health, as I believe I'm fine (I've taken harder hits playing backyard football) and that I'll give her a call about my bike.

So you're wondering how I can say that bad stuff happens and I come out ahead: this experience has done 2 things for me.

1) I finally procrastinated and took the bus to work..... or, well, as close to work as it would take me without taking an exchange. Why did I want to take the bus? Because eventually, its going to snow, and I won't want to ride my bike, given that I don't have any snow tires, and that it will be very, very cold. Plus, the bus is free if you flash an Mcard, and I also found out that taking the bus doesn't take much longer than riding my bike. Plus, it was kind of neat getting to work in a different way. Perhaps I'll go to work late one day, and stop by the public library (where I get off the bus). I'll get a library card, and peruse the books available to me.

2) MRF managed to break the one part of my bike that needed replacement. I was planning on replacing my crank this winter anyways. Several of the teeth are really worn down, and it causes me to slip on a daily basis. The way I see it, she saved me $50. I'd gladly accept $50 for getting knocked down in the street.

3) This motivated the heck out of me to send in my application for health insurance. I have finally applied for Blue Cross Blue Shield's Young Traditional Blue plan. (Thanks to everyone at Husband/Wife's halloween party for tipping me off to this!)

So, let this be a lesson to all of you!!! If you want to take out your anger on someone, bring $50, and I'll let you knock me down in the street. But Don't cry for me, Argentina. The truth is, I've learned that I'm invincible, and nothing bad can happen to me.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Husband said…

    Had a similar thing happen to me once (ok, i've been hit more than once, but in this particular case, my cranks got mangled). You have her contact info, so you are ahead of the game...

    Give her a call and say that you would like her to compensate you for your damaged bike (get me the parts description, and I'll let you know exactly what you need, and fair market price). It's a fair trade, she pays to fix your bike or you can press charges... And isn't your hand starting to hurt yet? ;)

    Seriously, the dumb arse should pay to fix your bike... Something tells me if she actually stopped on your bike, more than just the cranks are bent...

    -Husband

     

Post a Comment

<< Home