I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

I hate to start a post so negatively, but....

I've had a rather frustrating past couple weeks. Where to begin.....

The prospect of getting the Sites job that I'm after seems more difficult than I had imagined. I found out that someone I know is also going after that job, he has had more experience doing it, has the same kind of connections that I do, has some better skills, and they know and like him as much or more as they know and like me. So that doesn't bode well for me. I've been working my butt off to brush up on my Mac skills, and even teach myself a few new things, but we'll see whether or not it helps. So that is a bummer. (I'm not giving up, I'm just not expecting to get the job- though my attitude during the interview will be upbeat and confident.)

Add to that the knowledge that I'm currently employed as a non-student temp, and that our division isn't supposed to employ non-student temps.. (I had to wrestle with my boss to make sure that I could wait until March to sign up for classes, since the registration date for Winter term had already passed at WCC....

Add to that ANOTHER flat tire. Though I'm able to change a flat in roughly 6 minutes - so thats pretty solid.

I've taken care of my neck problems by buying myself a new office chair for my room- one that doesn't come up to my lumbar, but rather to my head. I also went a little overboard and spent $350 at Bed Bath and Beyond. New sheets, new pillows, a shoe rack, stackable shelves for cans/boxes of food that I needed to store, a hanging closet shelf system for sweaters, a new ironing board, new ice cream scoop, a sifter.... it was pretty awesome. I might go back this weekend and buy a new comforter- I have a 20% off any 1 item coupon, and the comforter I want is $400. I'll think about it. I don't -need- a new comforter, but it was really soft. :)

I dunno... with all this work-related stuff- the upcoming interview, having to take classes to keep my job (again).... something has snapped inside me. I'm no longer fine working as a temp. If I don't get the Sites job, I'm going to begin flooding the Ann Arbor area with my resumé. I'm not going to be too picky about the job, either. It doesn't have to be a video position, or a computer position- though it would help. I want benefits, and I want them now. I need to take days off an be paid for them, I need to have an employer match part of my salary and put that money into an account where it bears interest at an average rate of 10% over my lifetime, and I need a little job security- not a 1 year promise and that I need to take classes to renew that promise. (I don't mind that if its part of the job and the employer pays for the classes, or I deduct them as a necessary expense on my feds..... but I'm sick of this.) I'm sick of feeling like I'm working for a place that doesn't want me to stay. Its time I'm shown some love, or else I'm going to show this place the door.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Eva Fury said…

    Here, here! I'm with you on the frustration of having a job with the university that provides NO benefits whatsoever. I can't even check out flipping library books because I'm a temp too (even though I've been here for over a year). Job hunting sucks and the U isn't always as great as everyone (including me) sometimes likes to think...

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Kathleen said…

    Re: the comforter...

    They start to clearance them out sometime in April, so if you don't need it, and you can stop by the store every few weeks to make sure they're not out of it, it might be wise to wait a bit longer and not spend so much $$. That's what ended up happening to a bunch of stuff on our registry last year. People got good deals, and we got good stuff ;).

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Sunshine said…

    glad to hear that you're correcting the ergonomics of your workstation at home - if you want some suggestions on exercises to loosen up, let me know ;) also, try overstock.com for awesome comforters and sheets; we got a new duvet cover and sheets (800 thread count, egyptian cotton) for $99 each, plus free shipping. it makes crawling into bed at the end of a long day of abuse by the man so much better

     

Post a Comment

<< Home