I've learned to relax

Life sometimes passes us by if we let it. For the past few months, I have struggled with this thought, and have decided that I need to make some changes to seize the day and get the most out of life. These musings are the result.

Monday, January 30, 2006

The King of Gym

I hereby decree to be known as the king of gym. Let all my loyal subjects bow down before me.
Friday was the first home meet for Women's Gymnastics. And I was awesome. I performed beautifully. I coordinated the iPod raffle, filming of the introduction to my show, T-shirt sales, t-shirt tosses, personal photography, posterboard placement, crowd signs, and cheering. I'm fricking awesome!!!!

I also spent 23 hours this weekend editing video. Yes, 23 hours. about 1/2 my weekend was spent in the office slicing up the meet, and prepping it for Comcast. But its almost done, and it looks amazing. I didn't think I'd be able to put it together so quickly, but I suppose I've figured out what needs to be done, and I'm doing it. Hooray.

In other news... I still haven't heard back about the job I interviewed for (no worries).

Also- have you checked out the iTunesU project? Michigan's will be up soon, but if you go to http://itunes.stanford.edu and click the link to launch iTunes.... you'll see Stanford's iTunes page. Check out anything you like, but I totally suggest the Steve Jobs Commencement speech. Its currently in the "whats new" section, or it can be found in the "Heard on campus" section, and then in the "Visiting lecturers and speeches" section. There are 2 versions- 1 video, 1 just audio. Its really cool- he tells 3 stories from his life- including inspiring messages like "follow your heart", and "Stay young and foolish". It provided me with a little inspiration on this grey Michigan Monday. (Are we EVER going to see blue sky and sunshine again??!?!)

Moving on... I need a new camera lens, and I could never be a surgeon. No- this is seriously 1 topic. See- for whatever reason (maybe I'm a little too high strung), my hands don't stay still. AT ALL. I'm constantly moving- even if its just a tiny bit. Shoot- even my legs are usually moving- either shifting weight from one side to another, or literally running in place while I'm sitting. So I repeat- I need a new camea lens, and I could never be a surgeon. The surgeon part if obvious. You wouldn't want Dr. ShakeyHands operating on your delicate nervous system would you? I didn't think so. The camera lens is because (and this is especially true with a 300mm lens indoors - I know! Unless thats a fast lens, I shouldn't even think of using it)... so.... I need a new camera lens. Maybe a 200-300mm lens with an image stabilizer. Unfortunately, the cheapest solutions are $400 and up - and the $400 is just for a 28-135mm lens (and at 135mm, you're at f/5.6).... so its definitely not good for anything indoors and moving. Really the lens that I want is $1700. So that kind of sucks. Why do I pick expensive hobbies like video editing and photography??!!?? I mean seriously- couldn't I take up drawing instead? (No- I can't - I have that whole shaky hand problem.. do they make stabilizing pencils??)

And finally, I must say that Jessica and I made the finest desert EVER for this time of year. We took some cantaloupe, and cut it into pieces, then did the same with strawberries, raspberries, grapes, apples, pear, and pineapple. Then we mixed them together in a bowl, and served with a bit of cream cheese fruit dip. It was so good! I'm going to call it..... Fruitful Delight. Whats that? You say its called "Fruit Salad?" Whatever. I say its delicious. Except since everything is out of season, it cost about $20. They really need to teach berries to grow in the cold.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Husband said…

    Ok this won't make your hands shake less, but it might help steady the camera...

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=373932&is=REG&addedTroughValue=371188_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detail

    A vertical grip/extender that will hold 6AA batteries. Not a new lens, I know... But, screw image stabilization piezo electronics, stick with good old physics, inertia. See that extra weight will help keep the camera steady. With my SLR which has an old school motor drive on it (similar idea, with 8AA batteries in it), I can shoot hand held down to about 1/30th or 1/15th of a second with my 50, 85 and 135mm lenses. With my 300mm, I am comfy with 1/60th...

    The other bonus being the vertical shutter release, and added grip room... For my gorilla mits, I've gotta have the extra grip space... Plus, you can use batteries that you can obtain damn near anywhere if your batteries die.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Sunshine said…

    Dr. Sunshine says that Dr. Shaky Hands would probably have really high malpractice insurance and that it's better if you stick to typing where your shaky hands probably come in *snicker* really handy ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home