I've been meaning to post a couple of pictures of some ice-covered-tree-related events that took place this week, but sadly, the images are on my home computer, and I only seem to think about posting in my blog while I'm at work. :) So I'll save those (and the stories) for later.
In other news, I've purchased a food dehydrator! Its so fun! It takes between 4-12 hours to dry the food- depending on which kind of food, what temperature you use, how thin you slice it, how humid the air is, and how dry you actually want it, but you can do it overnight, and the dehydrator is really quite quiet. Last night I dried 6 bananas and 2 cans of pineapple. I left it drying overnight, and today, I have healthy snacks to eat at work instead of peanut butter cups and caramel corn. :)
6 bananas dried will fill 1 ziploc bag, while 2 cans of chunked pineapple (drained of the juice) will fill about half a ziploc bag. After finishing with last night's batch, I went ahead and started 2 more cans of pineapple. I'm hoping that my jerky gun comes today (it looks like a caulk gun, but with 2 attachments at the nozzle - flat, for jerky strips, and a hole, for jerky sticks) so that I can easily make some jerky.
I'm hoping that everything tastes great, because if it does, I'm going to go wild with this thing - I'll start buying bulk and start creating massive jerky/fruit batches. (its the only way that this would become economical - it cost about $100 to buy the dehydrator/jerkygun/fruit screens - for drying stickier items)
I also want to try making some fruit rollups - you take say.... applesauce, (or any similar substance- perhaps salmon patte?) and spoon it onto a tray without any slats, then put it in the dryer for a few hours, and BAM! Apple flavored roll-up. You can make your own flavors by puree-ing any fruit with a little bit of water - for apples, they recommend 1 cup of peeled apples with 1 cup of water.
Also, The University of Purdue called yesterday and invited me to come interview. I politely declined, stating that I had already been accepted to the other schools I applied to, and had made my decision. The conversation then turned a bit awkward- she wasn't expecting me to decline an interview, and she wasn't sure how to finish the conversation. She expressed her disappointment by stating that if I were to come visit the school, she was sure I would be impressed. To which I replied - I know I would be - that is why I applied in the first place. I applied to several schools, all of which interviewed me prior to the holiday break, and 3 of the accepted me prior to the holiday break as well. From there, the woman had no idea what to say, and there was about a 10 second pause, to which she finally added, well, we wish you good luck, and if you change your mind, we'd be happy to meet with you.
The way I see it - I read that the number of applications to B-schools rose quite a bit this year - apps were up by 33% at Notre Dame - I'm sure that Purdue had the same thing happen... I'm guessing some schools were better prepared for the influx of apps, and were able to process them a bit better than others. Purdue was one of the first schools I applied to - I submitted my application on October 30th. Notre Dame's and Ohio State's applications were submitted November 15th, and within 2-3 weeks I was granted an interview, and within 1 week of each interview, was accepted. I wonder what took Purdue so long. Whatever. I wasn't going to put Purdue ahead of anyone except MSU, so I don't really care.
I should probably do some work now, but before I go, I'd like to submit to you a few random facts- just in case you're bored. I make no claim to their accuracy. I found this on the internet, so take it for what its worth:
1. Most American car horns honk in the key of F.
2. The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."
3. Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
4. Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.
5. The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
6. Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself.
7. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.
8. The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; '7' was selected after the original 7-ounce containers and 'UP' for the direction of the bubbles.
9. 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Mulan are the only Disney cartoons where both parents are present and don't die throughout the movie. .
10. A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
11. 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
12. To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs - it will let you go instantly.
13. Reindeer like to eat bananas.
14. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.
15. The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."
16. Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
17. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
18. The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II Killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.
19. More people are killed annually by donkeys than airplane crashes.
20. A 'jiffy' is a unit of time for 1/60th of a second. ----this one originally said 1/100th - but I checked, and I believe wikipedia more than I believe the place that I found this.
And here are a few more:
A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
There are more chickens than people in the world.
Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.
The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.
"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.
Almonds are a member of the peach family.
Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
Los Angeles' full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula".
A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life".
A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.
A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
Mr. Rogers is an ordained minister.
There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
The symbol on the "pound" key (#) is called an octothorpe.
The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.
Ingrown toenails are hereditary.
The word "set" has more definitions than any other word in the English language.
"Underground" is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters "und."
The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
The only other word with the same amount of letters is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses, its plural.
The longest place-name still in use is: Traumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapik imaungahoronu kupokaiwenakitn atahu, a New Zealand hill.
Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.
Telly Savalas and Louis Armstrong died on their birthdays.
Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.
The muzzle of a lion is like a fingerprint - no two lions have the same pattern of whiskers.
The Ramses brand condom is named after the great pharaoh Ramses II who fathered over 160 children.
There is a seven letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, "therein": The, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein, herein.
Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
John Larroquette of "Night Court" and "The John Larroquette Show" was the narrator of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."
Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.
The male gypsy moth can "smell" the virgin female gypsy moth from 1.8 miles away.
The letters KGB stand for Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti.
To "testify" was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.
The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."
The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the correct order, as does arsenious, meaning "containing arsenic."
Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the Australian coat of arms for that reason.
Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase "Shah Mat," which means "the king is dead."
The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.
Apples are are more efficient than caffeine at waking you up in the morning.
A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 yrs.
People do not get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.
When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop ... even your heart!
Only 7% of the population are lefties.
40 people are sent to the hospital for dog bites every minute.
Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until they are 2-6 years old.
The average person over fifty will have spent 5 years waiting in lines.
The toothbrush was invented in 1498.
The average housefly lives for one month.
40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
A coat hanger is 44 inches long when straightened.
The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute.
Eating breakfast cereals like "Fruity Pebbles" and "Cap'n Crunch All Berries" will cause your stools to come out green.
Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than the rest of the day.
About 20% of all adults in the US have had a cockroach that crawled into their inner ear canal. (They enter while you sleep!)
The reason ostriches stick their heads in the sand is to search for water.
The only animals that can see behind them without turning their heads are the rabbit and parrot.
John Travolta turned down the starring roles in "An Officer and a Gentleman" and "Tootsie".
Among the music catalogs that Michael Jackson owns the rights to is the "South Carolina State Anthem".
If all the veins in your body were laid end-to-end, you'd be dead.
In most television commercials advertising milk, a mixture of white paint and a little thinner is used in place of the milk.
The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903 used a tomato can for a carburetor.
Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical cords cut from women who give birth. (They are reused in vein transplant surgery)
Humphrey Bogart was related to Princess Diana. (They were seventh cousins)
If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green.
In other news, I've purchased a food dehydrator! Its so fun! It takes between 4-12 hours to dry the food- depending on which kind of food, what temperature you use, how thin you slice it, how humid the air is, and how dry you actually want it, but you can do it overnight, and the dehydrator is really quite quiet. Last night I dried 6 bananas and 2 cans of pineapple. I left it drying overnight, and today, I have healthy snacks to eat at work instead of peanut butter cups and caramel corn. :)
6 bananas dried will fill 1 ziploc bag, while 2 cans of chunked pineapple (drained of the juice) will fill about half a ziploc bag. After finishing with last night's batch, I went ahead and started 2 more cans of pineapple. I'm hoping that my jerky gun comes today (it looks like a caulk gun, but with 2 attachments at the nozzle - flat, for jerky strips, and a hole, for jerky sticks) so that I can easily make some jerky.
I'm hoping that everything tastes great, because if it does, I'm going to go wild with this thing - I'll start buying bulk and start creating massive jerky/fruit batches. (its the only way that this would become economical - it cost about $100 to buy the dehydrator/jerkygun/fruit screens - for drying stickier items)
I also want to try making some fruit rollups - you take say.... applesauce, (or any similar substance- perhaps salmon patte?) and spoon it onto a tray without any slats, then put it in the dryer for a few hours, and BAM! Apple flavored roll-up. You can make your own flavors by puree-ing any fruit with a little bit of water - for apples, they recommend 1 cup of peeled apples with 1 cup of water.
Also, The University of Purdue called yesterday and invited me to come interview. I politely declined, stating that I had already been accepted to the other schools I applied to, and had made my decision. The conversation then turned a bit awkward- she wasn't expecting me to decline an interview, and she wasn't sure how to finish the conversation. She expressed her disappointment by stating that if I were to come visit the school, she was sure I would be impressed. To which I replied - I know I would be - that is why I applied in the first place. I applied to several schools, all of which interviewed me prior to the holiday break, and 3 of the accepted me prior to the holiday break as well. From there, the woman had no idea what to say, and there was about a 10 second pause, to which she finally added, well, we wish you good luck, and if you change your mind, we'd be happy to meet with you.
The way I see it - I read that the number of applications to B-schools rose quite a bit this year - apps were up by 33% at Notre Dame - I'm sure that Purdue had the same thing happen... I'm guessing some schools were better prepared for the influx of apps, and were able to process them a bit better than others. Purdue was one of the first schools I applied to - I submitted my application on October 30th. Notre Dame's and Ohio State's applications were submitted November 15th, and within 2-3 weeks I was granted an interview, and within 1 week of each interview, was accepted. I wonder what took Purdue so long. Whatever. I wasn't going to put Purdue ahead of anyone except MSU, so I don't really care.
I should probably do some work now, but before I go, I'd like to submit to you a few random facts- just in case you're bored. I make no claim to their accuracy. I found this on the internet, so take it for what its worth:
1. Most American car horns honk in the key of F.
2. The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."
3. Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
4. Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.
5. The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
6. Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself.
7. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.
8. The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; '7' was selected after the original 7-ounce containers and 'UP' for the direction of the bubbles.
9. 101 Dalmatians, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, and Mulan are the only Disney cartoons where both parents are present and don't die throughout the movie. .
10. A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
11. 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
12. To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs - it will let you go instantly.
13. Reindeer like to eat bananas.
14. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.
15. The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."
16. Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
17. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
18. The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II Killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.
19. More people are killed annually by donkeys than airplane crashes.
20. A 'jiffy' is a unit of time for 1/60th of a second. ----this one originally said 1/100th - but I checked, and I believe wikipedia more than I believe the place that I found this.
And here are a few more:
A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
There are more chickens than people in the world.
Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.
The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.
"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.
Almonds are a member of the peach family.
Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
Los Angeles' full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula".
A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.
Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life".
A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.
A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
Mr. Rogers is an ordained minister.
There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
The symbol on the "pound" key (#) is called an octothorpe.
The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle.
Ingrown toenails are hereditary.
The word "set" has more definitions than any other word in the English language.
"Underground" is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters "und."
The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
The only other word with the same amount of letters is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses, its plural.
The longest place-name still in use is: Traumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapik imaungahoronu kupokaiwenakitn atahu, a New Zealand hill.
Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.
Telly Savalas and Louis Armstrong died on their birthdays.
Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.
The muzzle of a lion is like a fingerprint - no two lions have the same pattern of whiskers.
The Ramses brand condom is named after the great pharaoh Ramses II who fathered over 160 children.
There is a seven letter word in the English language that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters, "therein": The, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein, herein.
Dueling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.
John Larroquette of "Night Court" and "The John Larroquette Show" was the narrator of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."
Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.
The male gypsy moth can "smell" the virgin female gypsy moth from 1.8 miles away.
The letters KGB stand for Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti.
To "testify" was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.
The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."
The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the correct order, as does arsenious, meaning "containing arsenic."
Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the Australian coat of arms for that reason.
Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase "Shah Mat," which means "the king is dead."
The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.
Apples are are more efficient than caffeine at waking you up in the morning.
A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 yrs.
People do not get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.
When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop ... even your heart!
Only 7% of the population are lefties.
40 people are sent to the hospital for dog bites every minute.
Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until they are 2-6 years old.
The average person over fifty will have spent 5 years waiting in lines.
The toothbrush was invented in 1498.
The average housefly lives for one month.
40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
A coat hanger is 44 inches long when straightened.
The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute.
Eating breakfast cereals like "Fruity Pebbles" and "Cap'n Crunch All Berries" will cause your stools to come out green.
Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than the rest of the day.
About 20% of all adults in the US have had a cockroach that crawled into their inner ear canal. (They enter while you sleep!)
The reason ostriches stick their heads in the sand is to search for water.
The only animals that can see behind them without turning their heads are the rabbit and parrot.
John Travolta turned down the starring roles in "An Officer and a Gentleman" and "Tootsie".
Among the music catalogs that Michael Jackson owns the rights to is the "South Carolina State Anthem".
If all the veins in your body were laid end-to-end, you'd be dead.
In most television commercials advertising milk, a mixture of white paint and a little thinner is used in place of the milk.
The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903 used a tomato can for a carburetor.
Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical cords cut from women who give birth. (They are reused in vein transplant surgery)
Humphrey Bogart was related to Princess Diana. (They were seventh cousins)
If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home