Hello all! Its been a busy few weeks. After Labor day I was in Rhode Island for a few days on business. Sales meetings, store walk throughs, and of course, some sailing on 12 meter yachts. Lots of fun! Unfortunately, several of us brought back swine flu, or something similar. Our whole marketing department was sick this past week. I didn't miss any work, but our VP of marketing was out all week, my boss missed a day, and another marketing manager missed a day.
Also awesome this week: I discovered audiobooks. Yes, I know- they've been around for years, but this is the first time I've listened to one. I bought 2 books through iTunes, and listened during my morning and afternoon commutes. It was great! My first book: "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. Thanks to this audiobook, we now have a detailed plan on how to pay off both of our cars AND get into a house by next Christmas. By Christmas 2011, we hope to pay off my student loan, leaving only a mortgage and no other debt, and then we hope to have a house paid off within 10 years. (And believe me- its not because we're making boat-loads of cash! There is a strategy) I definitely recommend reading/listening to this book if you want to begin planning on how to build some wealth. It isn't rocket science, and honestly, I could probably explain how to do it in 10 minutes (the audio book was more than 3 and a half hours), but I can say I'm actually excited right now about our plan!
My second audiobook is Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. I'm not enjoying this book. Like most other works of fiction I've read: I just don't care. Listening to someone tell me a story of fiction doesn't do much for me- thats why I don't read much fiction either. Reading or listening to someone give me advice or describe something useful- much more enjoyable for me. I don't know if its because it is just more practical, or because I haven't found the right works of fiction, but I read MUCH more non-fiction than fiction. I also just applied for a library card at the Columbus Library, so hopefully I'll be able to rip (I mean- check out) some good audiobooks in the near future.
Also awesome this week: I discovered audiobooks. Yes, I know- they've been around for years, but this is the first time I've listened to one. I bought 2 books through iTunes, and listened during my morning and afternoon commutes. It was great! My first book: "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. Thanks to this audiobook, we now have a detailed plan on how to pay off both of our cars AND get into a house by next Christmas. By Christmas 2011, we hope to pay off my student loan, leaving only a mortgage and no other debt, and then we hope to have a house paid off within 10 years. (And believe me- its not because we're making boat-loads of cash! There is a strategy) I definitely recommend reading/listening to this book if you want to begin planning on how to build some wealth. It isn't rocket science, and honestly, I could probably explain how to do it in 10 minutes (the audio book was more than 3 and a half hours), but I can say I'm actually excited right now about our plan!
My second audiobook is Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. I'm not enjoying this book. Like most other works of fiction I've read: I just don't care. Listening to someone tell me a story of fiction doesn't do much for me- thats why I don't read much fiction either. Reading or listening to someone give me advice or describe something useful- much more enjoyable for me. I don't know if its because it is just more practical, or because I haven't found the right works of fiction, but I read MUCH more non-fiction than fiction. I also just applied for a library card at the Columbus Library, so hopefully I'll be able to rip (I mean- check out) some good audiobooks in the near future.

2 Comments:
At 4:37 PM,
Kathleen said…
Your local library probably also does eBook audiobooks... ours does, and the service finally made itself compatible with iPods. Check online at their website. Usually it's pretty easy, and you don't have to spend time ripping them yourself (some have 10+ discs).
At 1:41 PM,
Sunshine said…
Great comment re: library doing eBook audiobooks. I'll have to check and see if my library does that - it would be nice to be making better use of all my commuting miles. And maybe you just haven't found the kind of fiction you like, Benlo. There is lots out there - even I don't like a lot of "classics" per se. But, just like wine, you like what you like and you don't have to explain it to anyone else :) Happy listening!
Post a Comment
<< Home