Well, after talking to you Sunday, Josh, I gotta say, I felt a couple of things. I felt relieved that the downer in your life you eluded to was not worse than it was. Having a good professor die (and at such a young age) can be troubling, but at the same time- I was relieved that it wasn't someone from your family, or that you had had a terrible experience and it was making you give up on anything. I'm sorry that you lost a great professor, but I am happy that you are ok.
The other thing I felt after talking to you, was that I felt ready to go. The death of your professor made me feel a little ... mortal, and made me realize that I need to stop procrastinating so much - that I shouldn't be waiting for things to happen. To help me solidify this idea, I listened to the the 1st day of Personal Power. Yesterday, I listened to day 2. Today, I plan to listen to day 3. I completed both exercises on both days, and yesterday, was all smiles after listening.
I really have been living my life by fear of pain. I have been avoiding situations that could cause me pain, instead of taking chances on ones that may bring me pleasure. I avoid talking to girls because I'm afraid of rejection, yet I feel lonely, and am often in pain because I don't have a girlfriend. I want to take girls to the movies, to a comedy club, to whatever. I'm tired of hanging out with friends who have significant others while I don't.
I haven't sold my stock and started an IRA because I don't know how. But my uncle does, and I haven't asked him because I don't want to sound stupid - and feel uncomfortable asking him. Instead, as each month goes by, I lose that compound interest... the money that I will need later when I retire.
I haven't learned the fretboard on the guitar, because it takes time and effort to do, and because its boring. No one wants to listen to anyone play scales! Instead, I can learn a simple song, and listen to that. In the long run though, I won't be able to play harder songs, and I won't improve my playing.
I haven't sold my G4 yet out of sheer laziness. I feel like it will take too much time, and then I'll have to go ship it, etc. But that is an easy $300-$500 that I could have - for probably about an hours worth of time.
The bottom line is this - I'm learning to look at why I'm putting things off, at the short term pain that it causes me to do, and the long term pain it causes me if I don't do it. Then the pleasure I get from not doing it now, and the long term pleasure I get from doing it.
For too long now, I've been letting the "pain of doing" rule my life. Tony Robbins is perfect for me - I know I should do these things, I know I want to do these things, but I just needed a kick in the pants to go do it.
The other thing I felt after talking to you, was that I felt ready to go. The death of your professor made me feel a little ... mortal, and made me realize that I need to stop procrastinating so much - that I shouldn't be waiting for things to happen. To help me solidify this idea, I listened to the the 1st day of Personal Power. Yesterday, I listened to day 2. Today, I plan to listen to day 3. I completed both exercises on both days, and yesterday, was all smiles after listening.
I really have been living my life by fear of pain. I have been avoiding situations that could cause me pain, instead of taking chances on ones that may bring me pleasure. I avoid talking to girls because I'm afraid of rejection, yet I feel lonely, and am often in pain because I don't have a girlfriend. I want to take girls to the movies, to a comedy club, to whatever. I'm tired of hanging out with friends who have significant others while I don't.
I haven't sold my stock and started an IRA because I don't know how. But my uncle does, and I haven't asked him because I don't want to sound stupid - and feel uncomfortable asking him. Instead, as each month goes by, I lose that compound interest... the money that I will need later when I retire.
I haven't learned the fretboard on the guitar, because it takes time and effort to do, and because its boring. No one wants to listen to anyone play scales! Instead, I can learn a simple song, and listen to that. In the long run though, I won't be able to play harder songs, and I won't improve my playing.
I haven't sold my G4 yet out of sheer laziness. I feel like it will take too much time, and then I'll have to go ship it, etc. But that is an easy $300-$500 that I could have - for probably about an hours worth of time.
The bottom line is this - I'm learning to look at why I'm putting things off, at the short term pain that it causes me to do, and the long term pain it causes me if I don't do it. Then the pleasure I get from not doing it now, and the long term pleasure I get from doing it.
For too long now, I've been letting the "pain of doing" rule my life. Tony Robbins is perfect for me - I know I should do these things, I know I want to do these things, but I just needed a kick in the pants to go do it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home